This month’s Michaels Makers project was the most challenging one yet. There is one thing we don’t usually do for Halloween and that’s MAKE costumes. haha. If you really want to know the truth I’m usually the one running from store to store looking for a decent costume in my kid’s size a day or two before Halloween. So when we found out that this month’s theme was costumes we were a bit nervous. It ended up being a really fun project though and we have one very happy snow queen.
We will probably have a few frozen characters just within our family. So we decided to go with one of the most popular costumes of 2014. Queen Elsa.
SUPPLIES: (we found all of our supplies at Michaels)
– white t-shirt
– Turquoise Soft Matte Fabric Paint
– Martha Stewart Glitter Finish
– Fabric Glue
– Paint Brush
– 3 rolls of Turquoise Tulle (BOGO all week I believe!!)
– 2 rolls of White Glitter Tulle
– Turquoise Ribbon (elastic would actually work better)
– Use a pencil and draw a soft line where you want the blue part of your dress to start.
– Paint the blue section of your dress with the fabric paint. Allow to dry.
– Cover the blue paint with a coat of the glitter finish. Allow to dry.
– Use the fabric glue to adhere some sparkly sequins. Allow to dry.
– Wrap your ribbon around their waist and add about 10″ so you can have a pretty bow in the back. (Elastic actually works better than ribbon because it’s a snugger fit around their waist, but ribbon works and we wanted the pretty bow in the back. If we were to do it again though I would use elastic)
– We measured how long we wanted the skirt and then doubled it. We ended up cutting all the tulle into 50″ strips.
– Then you just fold the tulle in half and do a slip knot around your ribbon. We used 3 turquoise strips then one white…do that with all of your tulle until you have a big enough skirt to cover them all the way around. The tighter you push the knots together the fuller the tutu skirt will be.
Every snow queen needs a crown so we put a simple one together.
– Plastic Tiara
– Metallic Gold Spray Paint
– Tacky Glue || I’m sure hot glue would work as well.
Give your tiara a couple light coats of spray paint. Let it dry and then glue on your jewel. So quick and easy and if you already have the spray paint… super cheap too!
You’ll have one very excited Elsa for Halloween night!
Did you check out the September Michaels Makers challenge? There are cute home décor projects for fall if you’re looking for quick DIY projects to spruce up your home! Take a look HERE.
Eat. Sleep. Make. says
Oh my gosh! So adorable and I can't believe you made it no-sew too! My daughter would love this. -Jen
Jenni Casey says
This is so cute!!!!
Jesse C says
This costume is darling, and you make it look so easy to put together! It helps having a super cute model to show the final product, too! 🙂
Oh, my goodness! Best idea ever. I love that it is modest for a little girl!
I was just poking around on the Michaels Makers website. Are they looking for other bloggers to get involved? I'd love to be a part of it, but I can't find any way to contact anyone.
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
This. Is. Genius. I cannot sew to save my life, but this? Is perfect!
Bethany Lee says
This is FABULOUS!
Hani Shabbir says
I love a decent dress for kids. This t-shirt turned Elsa dress is adorable.
Miss Mahi says
Such a beautiful dress and very easy to make with no SEW.
Patti Maxwell says
Totally adorable thanks for sharing
Cheyenne Rachelle says
Thanks for sharing! Because we're so last-minute on everything, I have a feeling we'll be needing this come Thursday night 🙂
Deanna Robinson says
What an adorable Elsa outfit!! And I love that it's a no sew!! I liked it so much I put it in my round up of 5 easy, no sew Frozen Halloween costumes. Have a nice (chilly) halloween! http://fromwinetowhine.com/5-easy-no-sew-frozen-halloween-costumes/
Sam and Kim says
This is darling! I'm making one for a friend's daughter. Wondering if you painted the back of the t-shirt at all or just did the front? thanks!
Im an adult and looking for elsa costume and this works great even for me. Great for adults too!
Jodie and Jen says
Totally! So happy you like it!!
BB Crafts says
This is great!! Love it! Thank you for sharing it.
Fuzzy Fabric says
How adorable! Cute Elsa Costume:)
Adam Jones says
Adorable post. thanks for sharing!!!!
Cathy Anderson says
Thanks For Sharing,
Very Useful post
This is great and so pretty
Very useful ans thanks for sharing