1. Place blueberries, lemon juice and lemon zest in a 2 cup measuring cup.
2. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth (isn’t that color pretty!).
3. Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla in a bowl and mix together.
4. Add the blended blueberry mixture and stir.
5. Stir it until it’s totally combined (I love watching the shade of purple change).
6. Whip up two cups of heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer.
7. Fold the whipped cream into the berry mixture.
8. Once it’s all combined you are ready to freeze it.
9. Pour it into a large storage container with lid and smooth the top. Place the lid on and freeze for 6-12 hours.
Once it is done freezing you can scoop it up into a dish or cone and enjoy. And if you are after a more soft serve consistency, put it in the food processor and process til smooth.
We love making homemade cones too!
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries (thawed frozen ones should work too)
- 1 small lemon zested, and 2 tablespoons of the juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- Place a medium-sized stainless or glass bowl in the freezer with beaters to hand mixer to get nice and cold for whipping the cream
- Place the blueberries, lemon zest, and lemon juice in 2 cup measuring cup and blend with an immersion blender until smooth (or you can use a regular blender too).
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix the sweetened condensed milk with the vanilla until combined, then add the blueberry mixture and stir until combined.
- In a medium size stainless steel bowl, whip the 2 cups of whipping cream on medium speed until frothy. Once frothy, increase speed to high and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the berry mixture until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large storage container with lid (that holds about 1 quart). Place lid on top and freeze 6-12 hours. Scoop and serve in a cone or bowl. If you want it more like soft serve ice cream place it in the food processor and blend until smooth.
Recipe Source: adapted from How Sweet Eats Blackberry Chip Ice Cream recipe.