Bird Feeders

One of our most favorite things to do during the summer is have craft days with the kids. It’s dang hot here so we like to enjoy some indoor activities with the kids when we can. We are so happy to be sharing what we made recently. The kids thought they were fun to make (so did we) and they turned out so cute!!
DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!
Bird Feeders

what you’ll need:
  • 3/4 cup birdseed (we got the seed for small birds at wal-mart)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 small envelope of knox gelatine
  • twine or string
  • cookie cutters, molds or mason jar lids
  • wax paper
DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!

what you’ll do:

• mix together the envelope of gelatine with 1/4 cup of water and bring to a simmer while stirring. continue stirring until the gelatine is dissolved.
    • remove from heat and let cool for a minute.
    • stir in the 3/4 cup birdseed. adding a little more if there is liquid still in the bottom of the pan.
    • lay your cookie cutters out on wax paper and fill half way with the birdseed mixture.
DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these! DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!
    • cut your twine, knot the end and push the knot down into your birdseed.
    • continue filling with birdseed, covering the end of your twine and
    • push the birdseed evenly into the cookie cutter until it’s full.
DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!
  • allow them to dry overnight. turning them over every now and then.
  • remove from the cookie cutters and hang them in your trees.
  • then wait by the window to watch for your first guest.
DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!

DIY Birdfeeders | Our kids LOVED making these!
pin this:
DIY Birdfeeder Kids Craft | Fun indoor activities for kids
Here are more fun Kids Crafts you’ll find on eighteen25:

Latest posts by Jamie (see all)

1. says

Can you give me an idea of how many you can make using small cookie cutters & one box of gelatin. These would be great crafts for my Girl Scout Troop. I am wondering about the supplies needed for 10. In the past I saw recipes with peanut butter. I have a girl in the troop with a peanut allergy so that was not an option.

2. says

This is a great budget DIY project! I hope you don't mind I blogged about it and referred readers to your site. I couldn't help but share such a simple & sweet project. I can just imagine a little hummingbird in the open star feeder.

3. says

your blog is a wealth of creativity. so much to absorb. i have pinned many things on @pinterest. are u on there as well? do u need an invite? would love to see u on twitter so i can keep up with your craftivity. i just made that word up, but it fits your blog.

4. Daniella says

Love this idea. My son and I tried it and before any birds were able to enjoy the stupid squirrels knocked it down and ate it up :( Guess we will have to figure out somewhere else to hang this cute project.

• Anonymous says

try adding some hot pepper to the mix – hopefully it will discourage the squirrels and the birds won't mind a bit.

5. says

hey great blog dear
    fantastic display of the creativity
    i loved reading it and looking to the pictures you have uploaded
    and would love to keep track of the your coming post

6. Anonymous says

My daughter and I will be making them this evening. My worry is all the squirrels I have in my wooded lot in my yard.

• Anonymous says

Try making some with crush peanuts and sunflower seeds. The squirrels will be attracted to the peanuts before the bird seed. Then hang them up away from the ones for birds.

7. Anonymous says

We made these for favors at our spring wedding last year! Everyone loved them and they were very easy to mass produce! We made over 200 of them in small batches over the course of a couple weeks! Super fun!

8. Tara says

Thanks for the idea! My kids and I just completed them. We doubled the recipe and were able to fill 4 regular size cookie cutters! We can't wait for them to dry!

9. Anonymous says

I did this last week with my 4 y/o and 6 y/o. It was fun and cute. The kids, the birds and the squirrels loved it! We will be doing this again! Thanks for the idea.

10. Anonymous says

I'm giving these as gifts for Christmas, I have too many people that can't eat sweets, or have everything, or I just plain don't know what to buy. It's a very nice gift for elderly people too. Such a great idea! I hope mine turn out well.

11. Anonymous says

My mom just planted a tree in memory of my dad who passed away 4 days after Christmas last year. I'm making these in Christmas cookie cutters for "ornaments" for her tree. Hope they turn out!! Thanks so much for the idea!!

12. says

I have a question, I tried these but when we tried to take the cookie cutters off they all just crumbled. I don't know if i mixed something wrong or didn't let them dry long enough (let them sit for 24 hours). any suggestions? I really want to try these again.

13. tess says

i made them at noon so can i give the birdies a treat at five in the afternoon i think five hours is pretty good what do you think?

14. Anonymous says

I made these 2 weeks before Xmas and wanted to give as thank you gifts….FAIL. They molded in the tissue paper. They were green and fuzzy white blobs with cute twine. So, word to the wise, make them when you want to use them, not ahead of time. Learn from my mistake!!!!

15. Anonymous says

My daughter just did a project on birds at school. We used heart shaped ice-trays from Target so we could make small ones for her to hand out to her classmates after her presentation. They turned out real cute!

16. Anonymous says

I used 4 envelopes of gelatin and about 4 cups of birdseed (used wild bird seed) Started with 3 cups and had to keep adding. We made about 13 molds but we filled them up pretty well. You could probably get more.

17. Anonymous says

Any idea how long the mixture can sit until they need to be put into a mold? I want to do this as a craft for my 1st graders class, but not sure how much time I would have.

18. Anonymous says

I recently made these with my summer camp kids for our Christmas in July theme. They worked perfectly! We have peanut allergies, so this was a great alternative to the peanut butter and bird seed ornaments.

19. Anonymous says

I would like to make these as shower favors for my sister's baby shower. We wanted to make them over Christmas break, but her shower is in March. Can we freeze them so they don't mold? We need to make about 50.
    Thank you! I've never made these before.

20. Anonymous says

Just made these with my daughter, she can't wait for them to dry. Hopefully the squirrels won't steal them :)

21. Anonymous says

1 cup water, 4 small packets gelatin, roughly 3+ cups of seed, makes about 12 regular cookie cutter sized "ornaments". They were about an inch thick. I left them dry 24 hours the normal way. Today I am making more. (for some reason cat ate 3…) Planning on trying to dry them in my dehydrater. Will let you know what happens. (with the ornaments not the cat) LOL